Tuesday, May 7, 2013

I admit it; I am a Technological Junkie and have been for more years than I can remember.   It started when I took my first computer course in D.O.S in 1983.  From that moment I was hooked.  I learned WordPerfect and Lotus (in DOS).  I kept working on computers and reading as much as I could.  Most places I worked at back then still had typewriters but were starting to incorporate computers into the mix.

Sometime in 1986 I got my first Macintosh computer, I cannot even remember the version but it was a clunker. 
I taught myself Excel and my way around a mac and I did have my first computer crash without sufficient backup, Lost everything and had to start again. It was a good lesson in more ways than one, good practice as well as teaching me the importance of backing up data.

I learned to play very rustic computer games; I was given a book on fourth  ( I vaguely remember the basic concept, a computer programming language that at the time was a little lost on me but I will admit I wish I had taken it a little more seriously).


Let’s fast forward to late nineties, after 2 years studying for my MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer),  it occurred to me I loved the learning but I was also starting to realize my addiction. It was (and is) an expensive proposition based on the fact that Microsoft continues to change operating systems and we have to go with that ...therefore updating is constant and not cheap. 

At that time calls started coming, from friends, family and strangers; can you fix my computer?  That's when I started Sandcastle Management Services which later evolved into Pinksky Productions.

How serious is this obsession you might ask?  I have lost count when it comes to the computers I have purchased  (I have four on hand at the moment, 3 working one not, have given away about two and a few just went to the computer graveyard in the sky. (When I dispose of a computer I always remove the hard drive so have a few of those on hand also)), Oh and then there is the Mac I have in the basement that I forget about most of the time.

My obsession is not limited to computers but extends to software and books.  I have enough books on computers, software and programming to fill at least one isle in the library.  Finding a home for them is sometimes difficult because as much as I try to clear things and give things away; the books I have a hard time parting with.  I am convinced the minute that I get rid of one I will find myself in a situation where I will need to answer a question and the answer is in that book. And of course now my book collection is expanding to Social Media and Search Engine Optimization etc.  
                                                                                                                                            
I feel the same about my software, I know some of the discs I have I will never use and I am a little better at disposing of older software than I am of the books. I wish I could find the right place to donate old books and software that would allow those who have not been as lucky as I have to live and learn computer technology could benefit.  Anyone know of a place like that?   

The problem with my obsession well first it is not going to end….I am constantly filled with an urge to keep learning more (I have a standing subscription with Trainsimpleonline an Adobe Certified Software Training site) and secondly it is an expensive hobby (obsession).

On the plus side, I learn a lot, am very up to date on new technology, html, what works and doesn’t on the web and changes in all things internet, so I can  answer most questions thrown at me.

In the meantime I think I will research; there must be a way to get the information and technology to those who need it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment