Friday, December 3, 2010

Beware Internet Dangers (Part 1)

February this year my website was hacked.  I found out through a colleague, it was very disappointing.  Not knowing why or how I began to do research.  After several days of telephone conversations with go daddy, who at that time hosted my account, what I was able to find out was the "hackers" do it for no other reason than they can & that my only option was to delete the site & upload a safe version from back up. 

Sadly I lost a years worth of blogs, (blogging is really about as it happens) & the momentum I had built over the past year came to a stop.

I continued my research, reading everything I could find.  A couple of  helpful sites were http://smackdown.blogsblogsblogs.com/2008/06/24/how-to-completely-clean-your-hacked-wordpress-installation/
 and
stopbadware.org

I was able to find the malware located in my website and remove it, as well I reported the villains to Google.  I also learned updates are extremely important, especially when working with Word press and PHP, in avoiding Malware.  Also it really pays to find a hosting provider that takes security seriously.

I have been wary about venturing back into the world of blogging, but am doing so now cautiously and with the hope that I will be more successful and that my new found diligence will prevent any further attacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment